return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Winter camping trip - looots of questions!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horses & Farm Animals ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: zebragal at Tue Nov 16 23:02:48 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by zebragal ]  

There are alot of variables to your situation. I am assuming you can drive to the cabins? If so, be sure to bring buckets. Make sure you have a good supply of water nearby. Dehydration in winter can be deadly. Horses aren't as inclined to drink as much because of the cold, so water should be a priority. If it isn't water they normaly drink, they may not drink it. Also, when I go winter camping with my horses and mules, I make sure to have good fiberous hay available, such as grass. This can help them stay warm. Also, make sure you don't sweat them, or if you do, that they dry thouroughly to prevent being chilled. Bring blankets for them if the weather is iffy.
As for containing your horses overnight, there are several options. If I can, I tie panels to the sides of my trailer and set up pens when I get there. Another option is a portable electric fencer and fiberglass posts. (make sure your horses know and respect an electric fence first!) The method I always use if panels are not an option is a high-line. This is only for animals who tie well and are not inclined to be playful on the lead.
Pick two stout trees a distance apart and tie a strong rope between them, above the horses heads is better, but you can tie lower if the animals tie well. If you put a climbers clip(cant remember the name of them now...) on the rope, then tie the lead to the clip just long enough for their nose to reach the ground in the middle, they can have alittle more room to move. Make sure to put a block near the trees on the rope so the horse cannot wrap itself around it. I will attatch a picture I have already posted which has my mule tied on a high-line. You can't see it all that well, but good enough I hope.
Also, any time you leave home with your horses, have a thorough first-aid kit available. Make sure banamine is in it, that is a miracle drug sometimes. Also, a calming agent, like becalm, or ace is a must too, in certain situations, you might need it.
Last but not least, have a back up plan. Always give yourself another option if things don't go as planned.
Oh, one more thing, attatch an ID to your horses halters, or braid a tag in their mane. Can't tell you how many horses that might save if they get lost.
whew, out of breath now!
Sammi Jo

-----
Downtime Training
Sammi Jo Stohler
Training all equines of all ages!
visit www.equidreams.info for more information!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Winter camping trip - looots of questions! - ElusiveKimmaby, Mon Nov 15 09:09:06 2004