return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Hock puncture/lameness advice

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horses & Farm Animals ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: bobmeans at Wed Oct 27 18:54:08 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by bobmeans ]  

Hi All,
My horse (a 23 yr old Arab mare) received a puncture wound to her hock. We were in the process of moving and she was being boarded so some of the details are a little fuzzy. It is unclear how soon the wound was noticed. The wound is slightly above the joint on the outside and it goes in about 1.5 inches, missing the joint. She received vet care and got 7 days (i think) of antibiotics plus wrapping. I never got the name of the antibiotic, but it was "sulfa" something, I think. The vet injected fluid and didn't see any seepage, so she didn't think the joint was compromised and she also did some cultures which came up negative. This was the first week of Sept. and now it is the last week of October. The wound has healed nicely, but she is still almost dead lame in that leg. She is on 2 grams of Bute a day plus Gastroguard. This amount keeps her looking alert and out of pain, much less and you can really tell she doesn't feel well. There is some swelling in the hock joint that at one point migrated down, probably due to stocking up from not walking. By X-ray there doesn't seem to be any pockets of infection. The vet tried to aspirate fluid for culture without much luck. She put her on Baytril for 8 days (horrid stuf!!!). Her suggestion now is to bring the horse in for an ultrasound checkup. The horse doesn't trailer well and we are afraid it will do more harm than good.

At any point, what do all of you think? Any helpful advice. What other things should we be doing? The vet brought up the subject of putting the horse down and it was quite upsetting although I'm a realistic person. We only intend the horse as a pet-not for showing or working- although light pleasure riding would be good. What do you think of the prognosis?

Thanks a lot!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Hock puncture/lameness advice - PH Cody, Thu Oct 28 09:55:31 2004