return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Water Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: back pain/pyschological?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horses & Farm Animals ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PH Cody at Fri Jan 21 08:22:41 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PH Cody ]  

It's possible that her problem is two-fold I know, I know, medical science says if you can make it one problem it's easier to treat...but sometimes there really are more than one!

From your description, it sounds more to me like most of the problem is that she's indeed sensitive there, but not in a painful way, more of a ticklish way. That would explain why light things - touch, spraying fly spray, rain, etc. bother her more than being brushed and sponged which take more pressure. I have several horses here that are more ticklish than others and I have to keep it in mind when grooming them. It's possible to desensitize them to some extent, but like us, those of us who are ticklish will always be somewhat ticklish no matter what.

Secondly, being a camp horse she's likely learned a few tricks - any halfway intelligent horse that works at a camp will. That added to the fact that she's obviously had a poor fitting saddle cause her pain before and you have a horse who has likely delved into the art of scaring young riders so that she doesn't get ridden, and therefore doesn't get hurt by the saddle. She'll likely remember this habit for years, unless you actively unteach it and she learns to trust the saddle again. This is why she doesn't object to you anymore - she has learned you aren't going to hurt her and has learned to trust you.

Sounds like you've got a great mare though, all in all. Some of the best horses are those who have come through some "camp horse training" and go on to someone who can undo the bad habits formed and keep the good traits!
-----
PH Cody
HorseHobbyist Site Coordinator

Come join our Saturday Night Barn Party from 9-11 also! PHRitters is always ready to party

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  back pain/pyschological? - penjet, Sun Jan 9 18:32:20 2005