return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Research info needed

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horses & Farm Animals ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Turtlefancy at Tue Apr 19 14:07:17 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Turtlefancy ]  

Hi guys, Long time no chat huh? sorry Bout that, I have been busy and as you know the "Mustang" room is not moving very fast.
Here is my problem. You know me and sorry cases, well I was given a very nice QH colt who seems to have some trouble with his legs. It seems to be more in the Hock joints and the front knees. Slight swelling in those joints and he has very small feet in comparison to his body. I will try to post pictures later but it is snowing now.
The previous owners had him to the vet several times in the past and it was "supposedly" determined that a couple of things happend to cause this. First the mare was vaccinated for WN in her last month of pregnancy, and the foal was born a month premature due to this? I had heard that the WN/ Pregnant mare thing was a false scare? The second thing is another one I had not heard of before. They say that his mothers milk was too high in protein and he grew too big too fast and he lost some of the blood circulation in his lower legs? At 3 months of age he was taken off of the mare and given very limited rations(in my mind this could have caused alot of it in itself, malnutrition) I work at a vets office and one of our doctors is one, of many, that looked at him. Dr. Web says that it was probably a birth defect, but doesnt really give me much information on it due to the Privacy thing. I have to wait till the records get transfered to my name to see what to do next.
I was wondering if you all knew of any website or book that might have some information in Limb deformaties. I know that the majority of them are caused from imbalanced diets of the mares before birth, but maybe there is something I can do for this guy to give him a decent life. I forgot to mention that on June 1st, he will be one year old. (yeah yeah I know technically he was 1 on the 1st of Jan but well you know what I mean.. hahaha)
-----
The one and only truly wild ride!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]