return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

When things are going too well...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horses & Farm Animals ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: TelogaApps at Thu Dec 2 08:21:35 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by TelogaApps ]  

You KNOW something's going to give, LOL.... What you hope for is that when it does, it's relatively minor.

This fall has been a very quiet, peaceful fall for us. No injuries, no torn up fencing, no problems at all - which always starts sending up red flags!!! So we're getting ready for winter here, planning to move horses around this weekend into winter pasture, up closer to the barns. We have 4 fenced pastures, and currently we have the babies in the second pasture and the mares and Zack in the far 4th field. We have two sections under our hay barn where they can shelter in the winter and its set up where the first pasture runs into the first section, and I can have either the second or the third pasture adjoined to the second section. So this year, we have been working on putting up a lean to in the second pasture so we can utilize three at a time over the winter. It was 99% of the way done, just needed a few finishing additions. Now, we're no strangers to building barns, lean tos, you name it.

So last night we get 50 mph winds and we're battening down the hatches, making sure everything on the farm is tied down, put away or otherwise going to stick around through the winds. The siding on the house has been known to go flying in the past, LOL... it gets a bit windy here. So this morning, the winds have died down, it's cold but sunny with the promise of snow to the north of us, and I look out the window as I'm making the kids' lunches. First thing I notice is Spider is grazing over the hot wire fence...uh oh, that means something is down somewhere and the fence is grounding. Unfortunately Spider has her dam's 6th sense when it comes to knowing when a fence isn't working...so looks like I'm going to be making the 20 acre trek to check and find where the fence is grounding today. Then I notice something doesn't look right...now, I'm not a morning person so I'll admit it took some looking and waking up to do before I realized that the lean to we had worked so hard to build was no longer up but flat on the ground...great...I make a quick head count - 6, all accounted for so at least its just the lean to! But still...that's a weekend's worth of work in the cold that will have to be done - obviously with some new modifications to withstand the winds!!!! Guess I'd best head on out there before the snows get here and try to figure out what gave out that shouldn't have...

-----
Janelle

Teloga Valley Farm
Making Dreams Come True, One Spot at a Time!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]