return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Mustang owners/trainers - a question!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horses & Farm Animals ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: turtlefancy at Wed Apr 20 06:22:15 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by turtlefancy ]  

I don't know about being "smarter" than the domestic horses, but the mares that have been out on the range before I got them sure are more..."clever". They plan their movements ahead of time, such as when I was trying to catch that mare. She figured it out way ahead of time that she was being cornered and we had a time pushing her into a corner. They also seem to see all around them and just dont spook very often. I ride out in the hills alot with them and they dont ever spook when rabbit jumps out from under them or a coyote darts out in front of us. I sometimes feel like they knew it was there long before it moved. They are always alert too, ears perked forward and paying attention to things, yet still very calm and gentle.
Many times I have almost been unseated when riding my mare Cheyenne, a domestic mare, and rabbits or other critters show themselves too close to her. She is a great mare, but she just seems to forget to watch her surroundings.
As for in the pasture, I have troubles with the mustang mares wanting to lead the pack. They both seem to want to be "lead mare" and we have an appy mare that doesn't feel ready to relenquish that title yet. Some nasty fights break out and they have been together for 5 yrs now. And you NEVER call a Mustang in late to eat. They think of their gut first and foremost. haha.
Hope this helps some.
Becky
-----
The one and only truly wild ride!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Mustang owners/trainers - a question!! - Seijun, Tue Apr 19 21:05:57 2005