return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Roundpen Ground

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horses & Farm Animals ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ElusiveKimmaby at Tue Aug 23 15:16:23 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ElusiveKimmaby ]  

I finally got that roundpen!! HOOOOORAY!
I'm lucky enough to live on very flat land, so it's working for now, but I need something to put on the ground anyway. For one, I don't really want a mud track when it gets damp, and another, it's very unsafe to work if it starts to drizzle or rained the night before! I have this one mare that ... well, if you were to turn her out on a 2000 acre lot and there was just a one square foot mud patch in the whole place, she would manage to slip and fall on it within 10 minutes. She's TALENTED!!!!! (Naturally, being a clumsy pig in horse's clothing, once on the ground, she would proceed to roll and wallow!)

I don't like blue stone. It's too hard on their feet, and too hard on the poor victim that loses their balance and falls on it!
Sawdust is a MESS!

Someone suggested using rock dust (which is like mini mini gravel) but I fear that would be hard on their feet, get stuck in shoes if anyone was shod (which they may have to be in the case of rock dust), and hurt like !@#$%^&*&@! to fall on.
I kinda like sand, but I don't know any of the pros and cons. I'm pretty sure one of the cons is price...
What I REALLLLY like is this... stuff my horse instructor has in his riding arena. I don't know if it's good for rain as well as shine, but it's like... well I call it rock fluff! There may be a little rock gravel sized pebble once every few inches, but hardly at all noticeable, and the rest is just rock colored dark gray soft silty stuff. It almost reminds me of lesser messy ashes. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about???

Also, if we were to get sand or rock fluff, how do you keep it in the roundpen? 2x4's cut to fit around all the edges? Eh?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]