return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Hi would love any input on getting my first horse?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horses & Farm Animals ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Dark_Anubis at Thu Jan 12 05:15:28 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Dark_Anubis ]  

Reading about the pet that you are preparing yourself to purchase is always a wise move. After reading through the previous replies to your post, I must concur on several points.

Speaking from experience ( I currently own 3), horse-proofing is always wise. For the most part, barbed wire and wooden posts will do just fine with most horses for their enclosures. Like any animal or person, horses have their own personalities and they well definetly aquaint you with them.

Shelter: It doesn't need to be grand. A simply lean to will suffice as long as the horse has a place where it can get out of direct weather...though my Shetland would disagree. This will prevent Rain rot from occuring as well....here's a great site with more horse care info...www.equusite.com

Feed: Make sure that it is in a sheltered area and always in the same spot so the horse knows where its next meal will be. You should have a salt block (purchased at any feed store) stationary in the padlock as well. Grain is not a stable source of food and should be considered more or less treat for the horse along with alfalfa.

As for the *very* first horse....considering your child's experince with horses to date and her age, I would recommend a Shetland pony. They have pretty mild temperments, they make good friends and they aren't much taller then about a thirteen year old. Might I also suggest getting an older horse? Now when I say older, I mean somewhere in the ballpark of six to ten years old. Because like people, they older they are, the more medical problems they have.

Also, when you do go shopping for that first horse, don't buy the first one that you see. Shop around, find one that not only suits your personality, but your child's as well.

The most important aspect of shopping for *any* horse however, is to know what a healthy, well-taken care of horse should look like. Take someone who has horse-sense with you. It isn't a bad idea as well as to consult a vet prior to purchasing the animal. And set a maxium amount that you are willing to pay for the horse itself.

Hope that helps, if you have further questions I'm on here nearly daily.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Hi would love any input on getting my first horse? - yoshismom, Wed Oct 12 10:38:28 2005