return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Naughty Horse !!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horses & Farm Animals ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: wundahoss at Sun Oct 8 22:08:53 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by wundahoss ]  

Hi Cindy,

You're right, the horse is indeed dominating you. But this is not 'naughty'. There needs to be a leader in this relationship & if she doesn't see you as the one, she naturally has to take that place herself.

It seems that you might need to do a bit of study into equine behaviour, in order to understand her better, and learn how to get her to understand and respect you. While I do things differently now myself, I have found the Parelli program to be very helpful, especially to those who are new - or new again, such as yourself - to horses. I would also reccomend Mark Rashid's books etc & you can also learn lots from articles on those people's sites.

Learning the 'psychology of learning' will also be extremely helpful to you... & isn't as deep as it sounds! 'Clicker Training' is about putting these principles into action using positive reinforcement(rewards) and is an invaluable method to learn, regardless of the species or behaviour you want to teach/change...yes, even works on husbands! You can also learn lots about this on the Net before you need to decide to buy books or such on anything. www.clickertraining.com & www.theclickercenter.com are 2 sites with much to offer on this subject.

In the meantime, while I don't generally agree with the use of punishment, this is a dangerous predicament & I think in this case, take a lunge whip or such with you, preferrably to drive her away from her food until YOU invite her back, on your terms, such as only when she's acting 'polite'. You are in control of All That Is Good in her life - exploit that & teach her that Nothing In Life Is Free. But don't be afraid to hit her if she's threatening you dangerously. And stay out of range of her unless it absolutely can't be avoided, if she's not under full control.

Driving her away & punishing the behaviour will not make her respect you as leader & getting physical isn't *generally* the answer with horses, but the above should help and buy you time & hopefully keep you safe while you're learning what else you need to know.

Best wishes with your new friend... don't worry, she will be one day soon, if you learn how to meet her half way!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Naughty Horse !!! - Cindy747, Wed Oct 19 04:37:30 2005