return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Chaco Golden knee molted twice since feb

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Insects, Spiders, Inverts ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Krawll at Sat Apr 25 14:19:27 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Krawll ]  

Tarrantulas will molt quite often at first but as they grow bigger , they start molting much less often.

I have a Pink Toe tarrantula and he's only molted twice so far in almost a year. I bought him in June last summer and he molted about a month after i bought him, then he molted again just about a month ago witch means about 9 months after the previous molt. He's about halfway through maturity.

I've heard one thing though. It seems that the more you feed your T. The faster it will grow. In other words, if you feed your T. crickets, just like i do, it will probably grow slower than if you're feeding it pinkies ( baby mice).

If your T. is a male like mine, you definatly DON'T want it to grow too fast because males only live about a year after reatching maturity while females can live up to 20 years. In other words, the faster you grow your male tarrantula, the faster it will die.

I feed mine about 3-4 crickets every week and he's in top shape. Sometimes he won't even eat that many in a week.

I wouldn't let the time between eatch molts worry you at all.
As long as the molt is a successful one, there is nothing to worry about. It does mean your T. is healthy. Sometimes, molts can go wrong and the T. can die not long after a bad molt.I'm not sure what causes bad molts to occur but as i said, as long as your T. looks fine after a molt, just give it at least a full week to harden up before you start giving it food again.

If you try and feed it just after a molt, chances are that he/she will turn away from any kind of food you give it. They do need at least a week, sometimes more to get their new exo-skeleton to harden up so don't let it worry you if your T. refuses to eat after or before molting. Mine stops eating completly about 3 weeks before molting and as i mentioned earlier, he starts eating again only a week after the molt.

Just make sure your T. still has a water source though cuz even if he/she doesn't want food, they still need water to sustain.

I know i've given you more details than you asked for but since you seemed to be a beginner i just thought i'd give you a few additional pointers

I wish you and your pet the best of luck

Have a nice day

Krawll

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Chaco Golden knee molted twice since feb - ronald_durst, Tue Apr 21 21:33:46 2009