return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: pink toed tarantula

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Insects, Spiders, Inverts ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Krawll at Sun May 17 19:30:36 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Krawll ]  

Pink Toes are realy easy tarrantulas to take care of . Been taking care of mine for about a year and he's doing fine . He is also my first and only tarrantula hehe.

I keep him in a 10 gallons tank but a 5 gallons is good enough. I feed him only crickets. I gave him about 2 inches of coconut fiber substrate. I also put some fake vegetation in the tank so he feels like home cuz Pink Toed tarrantulas are arboreal. I also gave him something to climb on when he wants to rest between meals. I also put a water source in there but to be honest i've never seen him drink from it. I still wouldn't remove the water though just in case he drinks when i'm not watching.

I give him about 3 crickets a week but he doesn't always eat them right away. You'll eventualy get to know when she's hungry.

If you see her building a web , that means she's is preparing her new exo-skelleton and she will not eat during that time. She will stay in her web for 2-3 weeks and totally ignore any food you give her during that time. After she molts, she won't eat for another week cuz she's waiting for her new skin to harden up. You can remove her web a week after the molt or when she starts eating again. She won't need it untill next molt and she can just make herself a new one.

They don't need any special light or heat but mine does seem to like the heat though. Just make sure the room you're keeping her in is confortable for you and it should be good for your t as well.

The last thing i can say is that Pink Toes are known to be very tollerant to humans . I can put my hand in my tarrantula's container as much as i want and he will never charge it. I can also handle him and he won't bite. The only thing is that they sometimes will shoot poo at you lol. They kinda spit some white liquid from their abdomen when you handle them for too long but that doesn't happen everytime and it doesn't hurt at all it's just a little cold on the skin and you can wash it off pretty easily. They don't enjoy being handled and personnaly i don't think any tarrantula enjoys it . But i'm only saying this because for them there is no such thing as fun. Fun doesn't exist for them. If you handle them they will simply go with the flow for some time and eventualy stop somewhere on you and stay there till you give it a little gentle push to start moving again.

I only handle mine so that he doesn't see my hands as a threat and /or when i want him to move to another spot in the container to make feeding easier.

I think i covered everything lol. If you have other more specific questions feel free to ask.

have a nice day

Krawll

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  pink toed tarantula - jrcharley, Sun May 17 10:48:24 2009