return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Hmm, what to get next?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Insects, Spiders, Inverts ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: TheVez2 at Thu Feb 25 09:36:26 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by TheVez2 ]  

OK, first of all, there is no such thing as a non-venomous tarantula. There are only a couple of species of spider that do not have venom. Also, tarantula venom is completely different from bee venom. Many experts argue that, due to the size of the peptides in the venom, it is impossible to have an allergic reaction to it.

Having said that you still want to avoid being bitten alltogether so look for a docile species. I've never been bitten in 9 years. Bites, even from defensive species, are rare.

One thing to also consider is the urticating setae that many tarantulas posess. These "hairs" han be rubbed off their abdomen and can cause itching. It is possible to have an allergy to the chemicals in the setae. There are many types of urticating setae and the Mexican species posess the itchiest type (Type III), and many of them are very prone to flicking them off (Redknees are the worst).

Hands down, my top of the list recommendation is Grammostola pulchra (Brazillian black). This is arguably the most docile tarantula and is a real beauty too. The next most docile tarantula I know of is the Aphonopelma hentzi (Texas brown). My kids (4-7) handle this one all the time.

Here is my list of recommended species, based on docility and least prone to flick setae:

Grammostola pulchra (Brazillian black)
Aphonopelma hentzi (Texas brown)
Aphonopelma chalcodes (desert blonde)
Aphonopelma sp. "New River" (New River rustrump)
Grammostola rosea (Chilean rose)
Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco goldenknee)
Brachypelma verdezi (Mexican rose grey)
Brachypelma albopilosum (Curlyhair)
Brachypelma emilia (Mexican redleg)
Crassicrus lamanai (cinnamon)
Eupalaestrus campestratus (pink zebra beauty)

I have pictures of many of these species in my gallery:
http://gallery.tarantulas.us/gallery/v/thevez2/

If I don't have it, pics are here too:
http://gallery.tarantulas.us/gallery/v/tarantulas/
-----
KJ Vezino
My Gallery
Missouri Tarantula Enthusiasts Group

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Hmm, what to get next? - MsPony, Thu Feb 25 16:51:04 2010

<< Previous Message:  Hmm, what to get next? - MsPony, Wed Feb 24 10:48:09 2010 *HOT TOPIC*