return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: To Declaw or not...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: JaimeMarie at Fri Jul 11 09:28:23 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by JaimeMarie ]  

My boyfriend adopted Moxie from a shelter at 8 weeks old. She was a wild little thing. Would climb up the drapes. Dig at his computer chair. He even tried putting tape on the chairs. Only problem the first time he tired he used Duct-tape. Now when you have a long hair (Maine Coon Mix) cat with tuffs coming out of her feet you probably shouldn't use tape. BUt he didn't know that so on the chair the tape went. At 3 in the morning when Moxie decided to wake him up by digging at the chair she got the tape stuck to her feet. Freaked out and then got her one of her feet stuck to her belly and her tail stuck to a foot.
Now here he is all by him self trying to detape her. He had to use scissors to get it off. When I say her next the fur was gone from her feet and she had a big place on her belly with short fur.
My bf also would take his cat every where he went. He would take to his parents house on the weekends when he came back to Maine for a break from the big city live. Most people I know would just leave their cat for a weekend with either a big bowl of food or a sitter. Not him he didn't trust any one.
Anyway his mother after having her house ruined gave him the choice of not bringing the cat any more or having laser surgery.
Of course she ended up with the laser surgery.
I was not happy about it. But she was only at the vet for a couple of days and when she came home she was running around a like a little wild cat again. She didn't even seem to realize she doesn't have claws. Also in the parents home is Buddy who is declawed and patches who isn't.
I guess it just depends on the cat. Neither of these cats would ever end up back at the shelter.
I do agree that some people have their cats declawed unnessarily, and usually those cats are the ones that end up at the shelter. I worked at a shelter in WA state for two yrs. And we would get a lot of declawed cats in. Both those also were the first to get adopted (the shelter was a no kill shelter by the way but that is another story).
Good luck on the difficult decision.

Jaime
ps. I was to lazy to proof read.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: To Declaw or not... - PHWildCat, Fri Jul 11 05:46:43 2003