return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Colubrids . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Lyre Snake . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: New kitten, whats the best food for him?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Deerhounds at Mon Jul 4 20:43:21 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Deerhounds ]  

>>I want to make sure I do everything right for this little guy. I'm not sure if I want to go the raw-food diet path, I'd still like something in kibble form. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, congrats on your new kitten!

Since you said you're not SURE if you want to go the raw food path, but didn't absolutely rule it out, let me put in a plug for it.

I've fed my cats and dogs raw now for almost 20 years. I started with my cats, one of whom was very ill, and was just blown away by the benefits it had for all my cats... which is what motivated me to make the switch for my dogs, too, despite that fact that their much greater size made it much more expensive.

I would never even consider going back and think it is the absolutely best way to feed a cat (assuming you have a good diet, of course - not all raw diets are equally good!).

There is also a lot of ground between kibble, which is the worst thing for cats (I'll say why in a minute) and a complete raw homemade diet. There are canned foods, cooked homemade diets, and raw commercial diets. Each of those is better for a cat than kibble.

The problem with kibble is that, in order to hold its kibbled shape, it needs a certain amount of starch. Your cat, however, has no dietary requirement for starch, or carbohydrate in any form, at all. And research suggests that feeding kibble to cats may contribute to kidney disease, urinary tract disease, and diabetes in cats. (Debra L. Zoran, DVM, PhD, DACVIM, "The carnivore connection to nutrition in cats," Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, December 1, 2002.)

So I'd encourage you to consider foods other than kibble, and to minimize or eliminate all grains in the diet. Nature's Variety makes a canned cat food that has only 5 percent vegetables in it, no grains, and is complete and balanced. That might be a good choice. And of course there are raw frozen formulations that are good for cats as well, with a small amount of vegetables and no grains.

If you decide to pursue the idea of feeding a homemade diet, I highly recommend the book Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats.

I wish you all the best with your new kitten and your decision!
-----
Christie Keith
Caber Feidh Scottish Deerhounds
Holistic Husbandry since 1986
Meet the Felines!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  New kitten, whats the best food for him? - sugarfox03, Mon Jul 4 19:03:43 2005