return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: raw food and allergies (long)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: cyclopsgrl at Sat Dec 30 10:48:50 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cyclopsgrl ]  

She's recently been on Depo-medrol steroid injections ever 8-12 weeks which cures her for the time, but intervals between itching has become about 6 weeks, and I don't want to keep giving them to her since they can cause diabetes.

====

I can't talk about allergies, bit I can share a little about Steroids. Stanley has been on Prednisolone for about 10 months now for inflamation/swelling on his brain. I understand Pred is also given for allergies... He was on pretty high Pred at first and after a couple months, his sugar levels were dangerously high (diabetes levels) and his liver levels were also dangerously high. To the point where the high levels were as dangerous as the brain swelling the pills controlled.

We "played" with the dosage to find a level that controlled his brain swelling long-term (with no symptoms) and also dropped his sugar/liver levels. For the past few months, he's been perfectly "normal" on steroids -- both brain swelling controlled and his other levels "normal" range.

The point is, if you just keep an eye on the levels with regular vet visits, there probably won't be any problems. He was able to go from danger zone to normal levels almost overnight by finding the right dose with the vet. Just keep an eye on it and steroids can be used long term. Of course, if diet change will help, get rid of the steroids if you can. Just don't be too afraid of them if you are keeping an eye on them w/regular blood work with the vet... You'll catch changes in time to correct, most likely...

Just don't do a high dose for very long. In Stanley's case, he can maintain about 2MG once a day safely. He had problems when he had 2MG twice a day. The pills come in 5MG size and I cut them down to 1/3 tablet for each daily dose.
-----
Tammy
Stanley and Pookey

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: raw food and allergies (long) - meow2me, Fri Dec 29 20:15:26 2006