return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Cleaning Tips?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kittyromeo at Sat Mar 31 10:38:50 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kittyromeo ]  

no actual tip, just a war story.

A couple months ago I read somewhere that you shouldn't clean a litter box with bleach because it will cause some cats to refuse the box. I had just switched from Clorox to Target brand and Annie had pooped on a throw rug 2-3 times in as many days. Now I thought it was a behavior issue between her and Stink, but just in case it was the new bleach, I stopped using it when I scrubbed the boxes each week.

I do this in a half bath we have in the basement. There is a roughed in concrete shower built when the house was built, and a previous owner constructed the bathroom around it. So I dump the dirty water from the litter box down the toilet, and after the final rinse, set the boxes upside down to air dry in the concrete shower. No biggie.

Only after I quit using the bleach, there was enough urine scent left that one of my cats (don't know who) decided to pee in the shower several times. So I bleached the floor. Didn't work.

Concrete is porous. Bleach didn't clean it, petzyme didn't clean it, instead it got worse. I had some nasty chemical reaction going on in the concrete (it foamed up!) which was enough to knock the nose off your face. It was awful and getting worse each time I cleaned it.

So Thursday I petzyme one last time, Friday I set a fan in there to completely dry it out, and yesterday I painted the concrete floor with a thick coat of oil based porch and floor paint. Unable to clean it, I had to seal the floor. The stench is finally gone.

But as I left Lowe's yesterday with my non-refundable paint, I spotted their carpet guy - and remembered he told us to immediately use vinegar on cat urine stains to stop it's corrosive qualities. I wonder......

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Cleaning Tips? - cyclopsgrl, Sat Mar 31 14:26:35 2007

<< Previous Message:  Cleaning Tips? - cyclopsgrl, Sat Mar 31 06:34:19 2007