return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Aggressive Clawing

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: bethimar at Wed Jun 20 16:03:53 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by bethimar ]  

As a loving pet owner, I try to do everything I can to avoid putting my kitties through pain. I myself can understand why a cat would scratch a couch over a scratching post -- generally, couches are less likely to move in response, whereas posts are usually not very weighted. And my animals are worth more to me than my furniture, so I wouldn't ask my vet to remove a cat's claws to save a couch.

However, I am having a HUGE problem with one of my cats. Scoop, who has not yet reached 1 year (I rescued him from underneath the workings of a still-warm car near its tailpipe), has a severe problem with "playful" aggression. Just to get it out of the way -- I DO trim his claws... actually weekly, since they grow so fast... but he keeps his claws VERY sharp, even if they're short. The major difference in his "playful" behavior is that it results in deep holes and long gashes all over my arms. The most recent time, he used his various claws on my forearm, breaking the skin in 10 places. One of the cuts is in an unfortunate location that makes it hard to move my arm at all. So should I think of my arm as I think of a couch? Or is this a good time to SERIOUSLY consider removing his claws (yes, I know that they remove more than just the claw -- and that it hurts temporarily)?

I think that my cat's claws present a pretty big danger to my family and me. His idea of "play" could cause infections, scarring, and fear issues with the kids. We have several young children who are often in the house, and although Scoop is out of necessity confined to a separate room from them, he does get out. He sleeps in my room at night, and has a nasty habit of digging his claws into my feet while I'm asleep... I am trying to keep him heavily exercised during the day (two or three rigorous 15-30 sessions of "laser tag" and "chase the toy on a string".

I've read a number of books on how to correct this "play aggression" behavior, but when faced with his scratch and run habits at night and at the most unexpected times, I am at a loss. He doesn't usually give me time to react -- most cats ... you have to do something to have them attack (pet them weirdly, pet them for too long, pet them in a spot they don't like, stop petting them)... I have tried so many different things with him to stop the behavior, but he's so quick to run off before I've even finished yelping that I know he won't know why I'm telling him, "NO!" Furthermore, I think that the aggression with his claws is picking up. He seems to do it just to do it -- and worse each time. This last time, a sharp scream and shaking my arm didn't even stop him from continuing his attack.

So I'm talking with my vet now. I have an appointment July 2nd, a consultation appointment about his behavior. He's been tested, has all of his shots, and I take very good care of him. My vets are always impressed with his grooming, his ears, his trimmed claws, his good behavior while being examined... I have spent a lot of time teaching him that there's no difference between fun and grooming...and keeping him free of disease and infection. I keep him inside, I give him as much exercise as possible. I know he's still a kitten, so I try to be as forgiving as I can about his behavior afterwards... but because there's no right way for me to correct him, I can already tell that these behaviors aren't going to slow down until he gets older and slows down himself.

Until then, I'd like to keep the scars down to a minimum. I'm strongly considering declawing Scoop. I ordered Softpaws (black) and will be trying that method of putting a "cap" on his clawing behaviors, but I did want to add this aspect of the "declaw" debate.

And if the Softpaws don't work, I really feel that I don't have any other choice. I couldn't possibly put him down for playing rough, and it would be wrong of me to give him to someone else. He's my responsibility, and I wouldn't push him onto anyone else.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Aggressive Clawing - PHWildCat, Wed Jun 20 19:59:38 2007