return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Looking for 2 purebred kittens: Advice?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: cyclopsgrl at Fri Jun 22 17:40:28 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cyclopsgrl ]  

It has been my eperience that Pursians are one of the more docile breeds. That said, just about any breed of kitten, purebred or mixed, will be very active for the first year or two.

Young kittens will likely be upsetting to your older cat, but hard to predict how long it will take for the older cat to adjust or just how upsetting it will be. When you integrate any new pet into a household, you have to do it slowly over time. Pretty much separate the new and old cats for a couple weeks, usually putting the new cat(s) in a room of their own for the two weeks with slow, gradual, supervised introductions. If you drop the new cat(s) in the middle of the living room on day one and "let them figure it out themselves" it usually doesn't go well. The resident cat gets VERY upset and will either be aggressive, or, hide out and potentially not eat, etc... So, very slowly over a couple weeks. You might be lucky and your resident cat embraces the new cat(s), but chances are greater it will be upsetting.

I am not familiar with all the breeds, but all cats have similar tendencies. Most will knead. Scratching is something you'll discourage from the start, so it won't be a problem with kittens and a little training.

From your list, I know Abys are very alert, active, inquisitive, climbers, etc... The rest of the list will likely be active kittens... I know folks with Bengals that live them and share stories of their antics.

Cats are more individual personalities rather than a guaranteed personality based on a certain breed. I currently have two cats from the same litter. One is fairly laid back and sharp as a tack, very smart... The other is hyper-active, dumb as a brick, and meows a lot. LOL. Similar to children in the same family from the same parents -- they can be night and day different in personalities.

I wish you luck. You might have luck calling breeders in your area and meeting parent cats and kittens of breeds you are interested in. You can also visit a shelter and get to know the personalities of the cats there, but you probably won't get a purebred (sometimes you can). Many of us have had wonderful luck with mixed breed cats...
-----
Tammy
Stanley and Pookey

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Looking for 2 purebred kittens: Advice? - cyclopsgrl, Fri Jun 22 17:45:59 2007

<< Previous Message:  Looking for 2 purebred kittens: Advice? - Bahger, Fri Jun 22 15:41:04 2007