return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Looking for 2 purebred kittens: Advi

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHAbymom at Wed Jun 27 00:47:17 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHAbymom ]  

You've received some great advice from the others already. You have picked what I like to call "in your face" cats. All very active and many very people oriented. As for the furniture.... all cats can be encouraged to use a stable scratcher... and tall cat tree/condos offer places to play and climb and for them to play king/queen of the mountain.

As for selecting a breed, this is really personal preference. I love my abys and adopted a young cat from a breed oriented rescue earlier this year. The rescue group couldn't understand why she'd been turned in to a shelter. I can tell you... she's an aby... without constant attention she's easily bored. She will nibble on me when she wants attention. Not bite...just an I'm here... pay attention to me nibble. You may solve this problem by adopting 2 as they will entertain one another and boredom is less likely. I've also had burmese....also wonderful cats and active... but also demanding of a lap or someone to throw a toy for a rousing (hours long) game of fetch.

Terry B's suggestion of a tonk is an excellent one as well. They were originally a cross of siamese and burmese. Not as cobby as a burmese, but not as extreme as a siamese. As one friend says, they are siamese on valium and burmese on speed. A very medium sized and tempermented cat with a lot of purrsonality.

My suggestion is to go meet the various breeds you have in mind. Cat shows are a good way to see many breeds at one time. Talk to the breeders and watch how the kittens and young cats behave in the benching cages. There are also many breed rescue groups who foster the kittens and cats in private homes. Some are with breeders, others with good-hearted volunteers. Visiting with some of these cats can often provide more personal interaction than at a cat show.

Here are a couple of links to articles on finding a good breeder. sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2007/06/26/petscol062607.DTL

Choosing A Breeder

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Looking for 2 purebred kittens: Advi - Bahger, Wed Jun 27 00:56:56 2007

<< Previous Message:  Looking for 2 purebred kittens: Advice? - Bahger, Fri Jun 22 15:41:04 2007