return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: lillies

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: cyclopsgrl at Sat Feb 28 09:28:05 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cyclopsgrl ]  

I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your cat. My heart goes out to you as it is always so very difficult, particulary when it is sudden and unexplained.

As to what may or may not be toxic to a human or cat, some of the resonsibility has to fall on the pet owner, not all on the product manufacturer. The word is out to the public in a couple forms, just not right in their face. But it isn't right in the face of parents of new babies on all products, either.

Vets are one source (mine went thru a long list of plants, human foods, and human meds that were dangerous when I asked early on). Online is an excellent source, as well. I just now did an online search and typed in, "plants toxic to cats" and found multiple comprehensive lists compiled.

You could contact the SPCA to get ideas as to how to get the word out, but I am affraid if a plant or product doesn't put a human warning on it, there is no way they'd add pets -- the law would require for human warnings long before pet warnings.

Thank you for bringing this subject up on the boards here, it is an excellent reminder to those of us that have cats already to question what they put in their mouth, and for new pet owners that come here for basic information.
-----
Tammy and Pookey
(Stanley 8/91 - 8/07)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  lillies - ncat, Tue Feb 24 09:42:57 2009 *HOT TOPIC*