return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Are Dogs Smarter than Cats?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: gocatgo at Tue Aug 11 14:57:08 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by gocatgo ]  

I was reading on AOL the other day that some dogs are as intelligent as a two year old child. Although my cats don't do tricks or anything like that, they do understand a lot of what I say to them and sometimes they follow commands from me. For example, Simba (my lovely darling himalayan kitty cat), for some reason thinks that he's a lion, and usually acts like one to all animals, big and small. He'll challenge any animal by puffing himself up to look big and stong. This is dangerous to him in some cases because there is no difference to him between a tiny bird or a large dog. Since he stays in the fenced in back yard, he's safe in his fantasy world. However, in the house, when he gets bored, he likes to pick on the girls by threatening them by holding up one paw like he's going to strike. They just sit and meow for me to come in and make him stop. If I'm at work when it happens, a fight ensues. I've come home from work and seen evidence of a cat fight, usually Samantha and Simba, and one of them is usually injured in some way. Samantha usually gets it in the eye and I have to take her to the vet or if it's Simba, Samantha has bitten him on the held- up arm when he's threatening her with his paw. I've had to rush him to the vet cause he's limping from a Samantha self- defense bite. The other day, I was busy in the bathroom and Samantha was in there with me. I could hear KatyKatt crying for me to rescue her because Simba was picking on her again. "Meow, meow, meow." I kept telling Simba to stop but he ignored me. I was tied up, so told Samantha to go chase Simba away. The door was open.... "Go get Simba, Samantha." To my surprise, she took off like a cat out of hell and he went running. I could only laugh, amazed at how much she understands.

So I'm just wondering, how smart are cats?

-----
Ruby and the Kitties
Simba, Samantha, Katrina & KatyKatt
Meow!! Meow!! Meow!! Meow!!

How wonderful to do nothing and then rest afterwards. Meow!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Are Dogs Smarter than Cats? - Chatanuga, Wed Aug 12 09:17:03 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: Are Dogs Smarter than Cats? - PHKitkat, Wed Aug 12 16:04:15 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: Are Dogs Smarter than Cats? - ttpurr4cat, Wed Aug 12 18:16:00 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: Are Dogs Smarter than Cats? - cannonbawlfranci, Wed Nov 4 19:38:39 2009