return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: sweet pea died from vet procedure

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHKitkat at Fri May 5 00:19:41 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHKitkat ]  

Hi Kathy,

Welcome to the Board, although I'm sorry to meet you under these circumstances.

There is nothing more difficult than losing one of our babies, and when it appears that the loss was avoidable, it is far worse.

It's really impossible to say what really happened during Sweet Pea's procedure. It can absolutely be the fault of the vet who performed the procedure, or it could have to do with something else, or a combination of both.

The reason why the scope was done in the first place could have something to do with what happened. Obviously, Sweet Pea must have been having gastrointestinal problems of some kind. She could have had an ulcer in the duodenum, or it's possible that a biopsy was taken and she was unable to heal for some reason. If she had stitches, they could have broken down.

If there was just an obvious tear, with evidence of spillage of contents into the abdomen, and nothing to point to an ulcer or some other abnormality, I lean toward the vet being at fault.

Now I'd like to share something. I once had a cat go into acute kidney failure as a result of an antibiotic he was given by my vet. I ended up having him put to sleep as a result. It wasn't easy and it took some time but I was able to forgive the vet. I realized that this wasn't intentional, but it was the cat's reaction to the drug that was the problem.

Sweet Pea's story is far different, yet there are similarities.
I think that in your case I would request all the records from where the procedure was done, and have your regular vet review them. Then he or she can compare the records to what was seen during the necropsy and then you can decide what to do from there. It may well be a good idea to file a complaint.

Please feel free to also check out our PetSupport.net site. You are most welcome to post there also.

Regards,
PHKitkat

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  sweet pea died from vet procedure - catsrbest, Thu May 4 12:42:40 2006