return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Aggressive Siamese kitten intimidating small dog

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ayli at Tue Nov 25 17:06:35 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ayli ]  

How can I train my roommate's aggressive kitten to stop attacking my very timid chihuahua? The kitten (male) is the same size as the chihuahua (female) now, but the kitten is only 4 months, so will undoubtedly be twice the size of my fully-grown dog.

Everytime they are in the same room, the kitten is stalking or jumping on the terrified dog. I let the dog jump in my lap to be protected, but she can't live her life in my lap. When I have to get up for anything, the cat is all over the dog, pouncing and scratching her. I know he is just trying to play, but the dog is just too afraid of him.

My roommate plans to have the kitten nuetered in 2 months, will it calm down then?

Also, I have taken to carrying around a squirt gun. Should I only squirt the cat when he actually pounces or as I see him eyeing the dog and preparing to pounce? And how can I reward (in a timely fashion) good behavior in the cat? As in when he ignores the dog (if that ever was to happen).

Thanks!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]