return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Too many changes? What do we do?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tnrobin at Mon Jul 12 12:08:58 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tnrobin ]  

Please bear with me so I can try to explain this.

My boyfriend Richard and I have been dating for two years. At the time we started dating he had just gotten a new kitten. This would make Jennie a little over two years old. Other than me, Jennie has never really been around other people. She will rub up against me and will tolerate some petting. But she has never been a lap cat with either of us. When we have friends over she usually just hides until they leave and then she's fine. About a year ago we introduced her to my son, who at that time was 4. She only saw him occasionally, but was fairly social with him.

About 7 months ago Richard bought a new house and then in June my son and I moved in with them. Jennie had adjusted well to the new house at this point and we felt she would get used to us as well.

Things were going fairly well for a while. Jennie basically just ignored my son and treated me about the same as she always has. In order to show her that I was there to be her friend I took on the responsibility of feeding her and taking care of her litter box. Gradually she has begun to distance herself from me more and more. She will even bite and smack me if I touch her. She doesn't initiate any contact with my son, who is now 5. When he approaches her to rub her she bites and swats at him.

Could she be experiencing jealousy since we're there taking up some of Richard's time? We have been considering getting another cat or a small breed dog. But with this behavior becoming increasingly worse we're not sure what to do. My son and I have both always been animal lovers and we're both quite heartbroken to feel she hates us. I would like my son to grow up with pets, but I also don't want to stress her out more. It's hard balancing the needs of both of them

Please help if you can.

Robin

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Too many changes? What do we do? - PHMadameAlto, Mon Jul 12 17:06:38 2004
>> Next Message:  RE: Too many changes? What do we do? - tnrobin, Tue Jul 20 21:29:03 2004