return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

kitten agression problem...what should I do?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kakel at Wed Dec 22 12:52:19 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kakel ]  

I have a pair of kittens I adopted from a shelter...they are not siblings but were cage mates. Both are female and they are currently 17 and 18 weeks old. We got them when they were 9 and 10 weeks.

My vet advised trying to wait till they were 6 months to have them spayed because of the safety issue with anesthesia and the shelter agreed to allow that.

The younger kitten is a bit smaller then the older one....maybe a pound to a pound and a half difference. The younger (smaller) kitten has always been more aggressive and the bigger one more timid and shy.

Last night while they were playing the younger kitten began showing very aggressive behavior twords the older. She kept arching her back, puffing her fur, and advancing on the other kitten backing her off. My Husband who had witnessed this begin said before that they were playing normally with a box I had left in the middle of the floor for them.
At one point the aggressor defecated on the floor (I assume marking territory) but my Husband said it was odd...she did not squat...it just kinda came out???

Then they came up to the main floor of the house and I was woken up by the growling. When I went to the hallway where they were I found the behavior he had described to me later. I got between the kittens and made the aggressor back off but my Husband warned me not to try to handle the aggressor because he had already tried that and she had gone for him.
So after about 10 mins of talking/yelling for her to stop I did finally manage to pick her up and calm her down. After that all was fine, we all went to bed and the kittens slept all night peacefully cuddling in bed together.

This morning the behavior began again only it was even more strange...we were going between playing one min, and this aggression the next. At one point I locked the aggressor in the powder room for a "time out " (yes! I do feel like I'm dealing with an unruly 2 y/o ). That calmed her for a bit but then it began again...so this time I kinda went at her yelling to back her off....trying to appear to be the bigger, badder kitten of the bunch thinking maybe she would back down to me.

Right now they are cuddled on the sofa together like nothing ever happened taking their afternoon nap.

I did call the shelter and made the appointment to have them spayed on Jan 5th...it will be a month early. The shelter worker said her kittens displayed the same behavior before being spayed but when they were 6 months old...she went on to say spaying sopped the behavior.

I am used to a single cat household so I'm kinda lost here.
My questions are....could this be aggression spurred on by upcoming sexual maturity even at such a young age and....
did I do the right thing yelling to break it up and if not how do I handle it? Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
thanks!
Deb

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Very sudden anger towards EVERYONE - MaxNSammieLuvr, Wed Dec 22 16:35:27 2004
<< Previous topic:  Brother and Sister cat not getting along suddenly after vet visit - Lyndz_Parker, Wed Dec 22 05:02:52 2004