return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: My cat is mean to my dog!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kinga at Thu Mar 3 23:16:55 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kinga ]  

I completely agree with the other two messages about the spray being the first course of action. But if it doesn't help, and it may not, you might want to do what I do and INTERFERE!!! Yes, I know about natural animal behaviour and support minimal interference wherever possible. Sometimes, however, it's just not doable. What we can't forget is that we are also an animal, and have as much right to interact with our animals as they do. Indeed, they expect it. The trick is to do it in a way they will understand. I can't stand people who allow their pets to get away with blue murder under the pretence of "not interfering". If they really didn't want to interfere they would never issue any commands, feed or groom their pets! Any communication is ultimately interference, and my pets and I "interfere" with eachother all the time! Anyway, back to your issue. I have a cat and two dogs (the cat came first) and also went through weeks of kitty fits and nasty feline behaviour. After the dogs learnt their place, kitty went on lording it over them and generally behaving like a pain in the proverbial, so what I did was to wait in the wings until it happened and stepped in. While kitty was busy clawing my terrified pup I pressed down on the back of her neck and hissed at her, followed by a stern "no", which she understands is my ultimate "I'm not happy with what you're doing" stance. She never touched the dogs again. She's now the one who pines for them and tries to get their attention to play. I think once she understood that mummy loves the pups too and that they're staying for good, it actually forced her to develop a different, more harmonious bond with them. Of course, you'll have to decide on a course of behaviour suitable for you, but for God's sakes don't tiptoe around being scared to tell your kitty off when she's going too far. Cats have personalities too, and sometimes they are mean and nasty, just like humans, and there's no point in treating them like they're sacred cows who will fall apart if you show them bad behaviour is unacceptable. My cat certainly knows where she stands with me, just as I do with her, because we both show eachother what is O.K. and what isn't. All the best.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  My cat is mean to my dog! - mattrobertson, Thu Jan 20 04:11:41 2005