return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: My Burmese paces constantly, and almost neurotically!!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: gocatgo at Thu Jan 20 19:02:23 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by gocatgo ]  

Michelle, this is very interesting. Sorry, I can't offer any solutions. Like you, I've had all sorts of cats too, 4 of them to be exact and none are purebreds. None have never paced either, however pacing at night sounds sort of 'normal'.

My best guess is, that Sammy is pacing to announce his 'territorial rights'. Perhaps when he paces, he leaves his scent on his 'trail' via his little paw pads, which supposedly announces to the other cats that this is 'my territory'. Pacing is so much better than what two of my cats did to claim territory, PEEING to the point that my house became their litter box. Finally I got that situation under control. I just wish that it would have been pacing, like your Sammy is doing.

The nighttime thing is absolutely normal too, since cats are nocturnal. My male cat, Simba, gets worked up every night and walks around whining like a puppy. The other cats try to sleep and he goes up to them and tries to fight. I usually end up putting him downstairs in the family room till morning just so that I can get some sleep.

So good that Sammy has found a little kitten that he has bonded with. This is probably a very positive step in the right direction. You might want to try a Feliway Comfort Zone PlugIn or just spraying Feliway in the room a couple of times a day. Feliway mimics the happy scents that cats give off and seems to take the edge off of tense situations with cats. I've used it with great success in the past and to this day, still purchase and use Feliway on a weekly if not, daily basis.

Another thing that you could try is Bach's Rescue Remedy. I've not tried it but have heard rave reviews from others on this board and would definitely try it if you're worried about his pacing. It's something that can be rubbed in the ear or a drop or two in the water. I believe that you can purchase this from Drs Foster and Smith and definitely know that you can purchase the Feliway from them. Feliway costs about $25 (lasts about a month) and probably about the same for Rescue Remedy.

Good luck with all of your kitties and do come back and give us updates.

Feliway..Drs. Foster Smith

-----
Ruby and the Kitties
Simba, Samantha, Katrina & KatyKatt
Meow!! Meow!! Meow!! Meow!!

How wonderful to do nothing and then rest afterwards. Meow!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Actually pacing can happen any time of day....and..... - Spiritlite, Fri Jan 21 01:11:34 2005

<< Previous Message:  My Burmese paces constantly, and almost neurotically!!! - Spiritlite, Thu Jan 20 16:10:09 2005