return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Siamese Shelter Cats and Kitten Not Getting Along!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHMadameAlto at Thu Mar 3 21:08:23 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHMadameAlto ]  

>>I adopted two female Siamese cats in December from a tiny NYC shelter. They came from a home where they and several other cats were starved and abused. I was told at the shelter that they'd both been spayed. I took them both to the vet the next day and he confirmed that they had NOT been spayed. Their names are Tammy and Georgia. Georgia is a lot more skiddish than Tammy, and Tammy snuggled Georgia the whole way home. By day three, Georgia never left my room and they got in scuffles and few times a day, but never hurt each other. About 3 weeks later they were getting more comfortable with me and my apartment; while Georgia stayed in my room, she began to be affectionate with me and Tammy just roamed the whole house without abandon. On January 15th, Tammy had a kitten. At this point, she gets very agressive with Georgia and I start keeping my bedroom door closed, which my vet said was the best thing to do while she's nursing and he informed me that my home would be chaotic for the 6-8 weeks. I have since let Tammy in bedroom a couple of times, and they didn't fight, but Georgia would hide and sometimes hissed and then i realized Tammy was spraying all these places in my room! After that, she started urinating all over the apartment. So I've stopped letting her in the bedroom. Also, although I had two seperate litter boxes, Tammy (when I first got them) would go in Georgia's box. She now urinates in her box, but defecates in my bathtub. I love them both, but I can't have Georgia locked up forever. She also gets very anxious about Tammy whenever I open my bedroom door--this situation is just not fair to her. My family said they'd take her, but I'd rather keep them all. I don't know what to do! Keep in mind I've gotten pheremones and flower essences already...thanks for reading such a long post~Lucianne

Tammy is still probably feeling very territorial and protective of her kitten. Both cats should be spayed as soon as your vet feels it is safe to do so.

You might try locking up Tammy and the kitten and letting Georgia have the run of the rest of the house for a bit. Changing "territories" can help with easing tension.

In a small place, cats do better with various levels they can climb to. Get a couple of good cat trees and put them wherever you can.

You may have to resort to anti-anxiety meds for a bit. Of course the kitten will need to be fully weaned first.

Good luck!

-----
Smile, it will make them wonder what you are up to!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Siamese Shelter Cats and Kitten Not Getting Along! - luciannenyc, Thu Mar 3 14:57:07 2005