return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Please help after 7 years may need new home

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHMadameAlto at Tue Apr 12 21:09:08 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHMadameAlto ]  

Probably the fact that he is blind in one eye makes this cat a little more wary of other cats than normal. Also being abused didn't help.The new kitten added to the mix upset the balance that had been worked out and all the cats are trying to find their new places in the hierarchy. Nemo is probably showing some mis-directed agression towards the other cats - he is taking out his problems with the kitten on Timone.

Talk with your vet about trying some sort of cat antianxiety medication like Buspar or Prozac or Elival. Also see if there is an animal behaviorist in your area that might be able to help.

If you have to re-home the cat - there may be more people than you think willing to help with this!

Good luck!

>>I hope some one can help me if this is long I'm sorry. First when I got Nemo he was 6-8 months old abused from the SPCA. He has a "dead" eye and we took him to a cat opthamologist like the vet suggested and they said he was abused as a very young kitten or it was a birth defect. I already had 2 cats one 8 months and one 4 years all are fixed. From day one he had problems with the litter box. He was litter trained but only when he wasn't mad. If I didn't spend enouph time with him he peed, and not just one spot about 12 spots that are ever changing. We tried all the vets recommendations: litter boxes per cat, feline "happy" phermone spray, we felt to awful about the cage business with the others running around and the vet felt it would make the cat more upset. We know why he pees just not how to fix it. It happens when he us upset which is most of the time, because I won't sit with him all day and let him "hug" my neck and kneed my hair. I have tried taking time everyday with him, but it doesn 't help. He comes and goes, sometimes he will go months using nothing but the litter box then with no environmental changes going on he will stop, not even a change in affection time. I'm a sucker for animals and 5 months ago when we were camping my daughter came across a half starved 8 month old kitten who took to her right off the bat. We took him home and slowly introduced him to the others and everything was cool at first the peeing continued, but didn't get worse (suprisingly) then a little over a month ago he started alienating himself from the other cats and attacking the new one. There is nothing wrong with him physically, but the vet is perplexed. The cat will socialize but only with the original 2 and he doesn't socialize as much and is short with his usual playmate (being mean when Timone just wants to play) he used to just tell him off and leave now he attacks Timone and takes off running. Timone got tired of being nipped at and stopped trying to play with him. Basically I have one unhappy little boy. I have put up with his antics now for 7 years and two kids and I'm tired of sitting on the floor to play with my 2 yr old and smelling pee. We disinfect where he pees and even used the phermone spray exacly how it said and he just found new places to pee. The new cat goes out door (as he was raised outside and will use but hates the litter box he goes out just to poop then comes back in), so we let Nemo in the back yard supervised (he is declawed, because him and timone started tearing up carpet as soon as we recarpeted the house) and so far (only a week) he has not peed in the house. Any help on making this cat happy would be appreciated. I know it would be killing him to take him to a shelter and impossible to find a new home for a one eyed cat that has behavioral problem. I've found a Cat Protection Society, but love the cat and want to try to salvage this relationship.
-----
Smile, it will make them wonder what you are up to!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Please help after 7 years may need new home - nala1842, Wed Apr 13 21:29:36 2005

<< Previous Message:  Please help after 7 years may need new home - nala1842, Tue Apr 12 00:19:25 2005