return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Zoo Med Aspen Snake Bedding  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Don

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Tilda at Wed Jun 15 09:04:11 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Tilda ]  

I had the same situation once when I rescued a kitten from the street. None of my resident cats (four of them) liked her. Over the years she drove two of them away (that's when we still lived in a house with garden and they went outdoors). If I had known that I would never have taken her in. But I thought they would get along in time. The third one she fought with until the day he died (but that wasn't her fault). Only with the fourth one she has made friends and they are best buddies now.

It is a very difficult dituation. Cats are very territorial, so for a start I would advise you not to force them to be close to each other, for example feed them in a seperate room with doors closed, so that they at least can eat in peace and without stress. Maybe if they both realize that the other is not coming anywhere close to their food bowl that might take the edge off.

Are they both male, both female, or different sex? If they are both of the same sex, get them spayed/neutered as soon as possible, otherwise the fighting might never stop. If they are male and female ... well that's up to you.

Apart from eating apart I would also at first cuddle and play with them seperately and start only much later to try to get them involved in play together.

Since the younger one is the resident one make sure she gets to keep her favourite places, toys and habitual quality times with you.

I know one site with more tips, maybe it'll help you:
http://www.cathelp-online.com/qinfo/intro.php

Good luck to you all!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Don - Amyy91, Tue Jun 14 10:12:47 2005