return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

cat is stealing and eating absolutely everything

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: bk221 at Mon Aug 29 23:08:24 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by bk221 ]  

First, some history. We have 2 cats at home. One cat is 6 years old and we've had her since she was just over 2 months old. The other cat is approximately 2-3 years old and we've had him for only about 2 months. I acquired the younger cat from my veterinarian who took in a couple of cats from an elderly woman who hoarded cats. She kept all of the cats in separate cages nearly all the time. She never starved the cats; they were well-fed (but not to the point of being overweight). After the veterinarian acquired this particular cat from her, the cat stayed in the hospital for approximately 7 months because he was relatively unsociable to strangers and prospective "adopters" were always turned off by his fearful attitude. He was fearful and shy, but never aggressive.

Since we've had him at home now, he steals and eats absolutely everything he can find. He'll even go so far as to steal food as you're putting it in your mouth. For awhile, he would take a couple bites of his food during mealtimes and then run to the older cat's bowl to steal her food. To stop this, they are now fed separately. However, now that we've been able to prevent him from aggravating the older cat (who is sometimes rather aggressive towards him and is not afraid to put him in his place), he is just a nuisance when it comes to our human food. Sometimes, he's even bold enough to try to steal the dog food out of the dogs' bowls before the dogs get a chance to stick their own faces in their bowls. He tears through saran wrap, he knocks off heavy pans and pots we put over plates, he even pushed away a huge wooden cutting board to get to the food, he eats so much food that I'm afraid he's going to make himself sick.

I absolutely love this cat. I volunteered at the veterinarian's office, so I fell in love with him before I even considered taking him home. But now the family is at their wit's end with the problem of stealing food.

To be honest, I know that the best solution is prevention. But my family is adament about not changing their habits because of some cat. Is there any other way to curb this bad behavior? Everyday I'm innundated with "send the cat back" or "we need to get rid of this cat."

Is there any advice out there? Perhaps a method of training that has worked for someone else? Any advice or help is appreciated.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: cat is stealing and eating absolutely everything - Tilda, Thu Sep 1 08:42:16 2005