return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Chameleon . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Skink . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: New Exotic Cat Poops on Bed

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Himi_Points at Thu Mar 9 17:38:16 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Himi_Points ]  

Ok, well first, you should have been told to expect these sorts of problems when purchasing a hybrid cat that is 50% or more wild. Especially, if she is from where I expect she is, she's more like 75-80% wild. First thing you must do is find out if it is even legal to have these hybrids where you live- check city, county, and state statutes. In MANY locations, these cats are prohibited or permit only. You've got to make sure you can legally keep her, because otherwise if you are reported (by a vet, for instance), she will be taken away and put down, plus you could be fined...even do jail time!

Now, legal issues aside...I truly congratulate you and envy you, your purchase...they are awesome creatures! Something that a hybrid breeder once told me, is that many times these cats like to go in a water box, instead of a regular litterbox. Just dump out the litter and instead put in a few inches of water...see if she will use it then, to poop AND pee. As far as her standoffishness goes, you must try to get her past that, because she could become a serious threat someday. Work with her, every day...no exceptions...until she trusts you and is affectionate. Keep her nails trimmed and NEVER let her nibble on you, no matter how cute and innocent it is.

Lastly, be careful about bringing any other animals in the house, and avoid taking your cat out of the house except when necessary. Taking her for leashed walked is tempting, no doubt, but she could potentially scare or hurt a neighbor. Thus you could get sued. And don't let her outside unattended, no matter what! Maybe you could screen in a porch, so she can get that MUCH needed fresh outside air feel, without being in danger of small minded people assuming you have a 'tiger' or a 'leopard'. Believe me, it's not that outlandish.
-----
Jennifer

My alley cats: Othello, Vladimir, and Maxwell.

My Bengal: Razzle Tazzle.

My Himalayans: Krueger, Jinx, Dumplin', Dervish, and Precious. Thank you, Jennifer, Sandy, and Rita for trusting me with your babies!!!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  How do I get my cats home? - jmr40777, Sat Feb 18 17:03:07 2006
<< Previous topic:  s/f 2y/o - babytess, Thu Feb 16 00:30:20 2006