return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Why does he "pretend-bury" his dishe

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: cyclopsgrl at Sat Apr 8 17:34:31 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cyclopsgrl ]  

Hi!

Lou is right about some cats needing to see the water line. Some cats have depth perception problems. One of my cats, Stanley, does. If I keep the bowl filled to the very top, and I mean very top, he does OK. If it goes lower than that, he can't "find" the water and paws at it and licks the water off his paws. Or, he'll paw at it to get a sense where the water line is... You also may not necessarily see him drink often, but he is. Some cats are private drinkers and their owners think they don't drink, but they do.

I do caution you against switching foods a lot. It can be rough on a cat's digestive system to switch foods around a lot -- any switches should be gradual. If he is under a year old, the best dry food for him is a Kitten Chow. They recommend that for kittens up to a year old. Whatever dry you go with, I recommend leaving it out during the day for him to eat whenever he is hungry. Cats nibble several small meals several times a day. You can leave dry food out for him whenever he is hungry and you can feed him wet food whenever you decide works best (before work, after work, whatever...). Once you set a feeding routine, he will get used to it. If he knows he will only get wet certain times a day, he will probably nibble on the dry during the day. If he gets wet constantly during the day, he will probably show no interest in the dry.
-----
Tammy
Stanley and Pookey

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Meowing & Crying - alanolis, Sun Apr 9 21:36:33 2006
<< Previous topic:  Aggressive, dominant behaviour - MeganC, Tue Apr 4 21:18:27 2006