return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Former stray kitty - aggressive

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: wileys at Thu Jun 1 17:50:13 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by wileys ]  

This is a rather detailed problem so please bear with me. My 10 year kitty (Wiley) went missing for two months, but I finally found him. In the meantime, being very despondent, I took in a young (about 1 year old) stray cat we believe was dumped off in our friends yard(we've named him Buster). He's playful, seemingly well socialized with people and has never shown any aggression towards people. Before I found Wiley, I started introducing Buster to my other kitty - Otis. Otis had been bonded with Wiley, seemed to be grieving his loss and had always loved to play with Wiley. At first, I just let Otis and Buster sniff and touch noses as I cracked the bedroom door open (we've had Buster confined to his own room). Buster would chirp and they would touch noses and all seemed to be going well. Next (after a couple weeks of nose touching and footsie underneath the door) came supervised visits - they seemed to be working things out - a little bit of posturing and mistaken play cues, but things seemed to be going well. I should mention that Buster was not neutered at the time, but is now - he has been checked out thoroughly by the vet. Then just when I thought we were almost there - we found Wiley! Wiley has been sick from his adventures outside and has actually spent most of the last two weeks at the hospital. Anyway, I didn't have as much time to work with Buster and Otis. Things started to go down hill. First they started boxing, but now it has come to all out brawling. No hissing or spitting or yowling, just Buster attacking Otis from behind. (Otis is about 5 years old and was adopted from a shelter). Otis has never attacked Buster - he may grumble pretty lowly and bop Buster on the head, but nothing above that. Always the other way around. At first I thought it was just that Buster was trying to play and Otis wasn't getting it, but after this morning I realize Buster is out and out attacking Otis. Otis is a bigger kitty too and was the alpha male before I brought Buster into the mix. I'm thinking that even though Buster is a great people kitty, I may not have the time to work out this problem especially considering Wiley. He will need time to recuperate and may not need the stress of a new cat. Can anybody help? Needing suggestions on trying to find a way to keep Buster and work out his sudden aggression or am I better off trying to find him another home? Thanks!!!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]