return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: My cat is mad at me..now what do I do?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHKitkat at Mon Aug 28 16:03:46 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHKitkat ]  

Sorry, Amber, but you have a lot to learn about cats.

You never, ever, EVER hit a cat, no matter what the cat does. Nor do you even touch a cat that is upset, let alone pick one up. Chasing and yelling at a cat is not a good thing either.

It is normal for a cat to be upset when a new animal is brought into a home. This is why almost all introductions need to be made slowly and gradually, with the new addition isolated for the first 2 weeks or so. My guess is that your cat and the kitten had a face-to-face meeting.

You have to learn to understand the body language of a cat. If you see a cat put it's ears back, or moving it's tail back and forth, you don't touch it. Normally, a cat that is upset will strike out at anyone who touches it or picks it up. Same with a cat that is hissing or growling. Leave it alone until it calms down. I would wait until the cat comes to me on it's own before touching it.

Your cat may or may not learn to trust you again. I recommend talking to your cat only at this time. No touching him for a couple of weeks. He may be hand-shy for a very long time. I would go into his room, sit on the floor, so that you are on his level, and talk softly to him. Offer him special foods and treats, but do not try to get him to take anything from your hand. Chances are that he will strike out again.

I'm really sorry you ended up getting hurt. With patience and the passage of time, hopefully your cat will learn to trust you again. We do have a feline behavior chat on Thursdays at 9:00 pm ET in Cat Care Central. You are welcome to come by if you feel it would help.

PHKitkat

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: My cat is mad at me..now what do I do? - amberl, Mon Aug 28 20:04:19 2006

<< Previous Message:  My cat is mad at me..now what do I do? - amberl, Mon Aug 28 09:47:35 2006