return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Intro, and questions, A bit long.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: cyclopsgrl at Sat Oct 21 06:27:23 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cyclopsgrl ]  

Bless your heart (and KitKat's) for taking in kitties in need and working with them. I have a friend that runs am SPCA in Mississippi that has always had a large conglomeration of special needs dogs animals at home. The most memorable was a furless Poodle with a skin disease that looked like a pink piglett and smelled horrible. Horrible. All he wanted to do was sit on laps. So, we put towels on our lap and he sat and watched TV with us. After a few minutes, your olfactory nerves get used to any smell... She had him for years. Mixed in with all the dogs, from large to small, she has a 16 year old cat, Storm, who was the first pet and only cat... Storm is a sage old cat who has seen it all, LOL...

Sounds like Reboot has had a harsh live so far with the violent little boy. Who knows what the boy did, if he tormented him and followed him constantly, Reboot probably didn't get much peace or time to eat. I am sure, along with the brain damage, his experiences so far have him on guard. He probably needs a little time to understand this new home is full of love and OK -- nothing is going to suddenly happen to him. It should all work out on its own... Sounds like he is all noise right now and no attacking...

One non-painful way to stop bad behavior is with a water bottle. Spray bottle with clean water in it. Only use it if they are bad and use it with a loud NO. Try clapping your hands really loudly with some loud NO's before going to the water.

In Reboot's case, I don't know that I would go to water just yet. He is finding his ground. If he starts biting, say NO loudly and hiss or meow loudly at him and that may startle him to stop. Blowing on his face will bother him, too. Always with a NO and they quickly get the idea and stop before the blow/noise/water start. People will think you are crazy if they are around and you start saying NO loudly, blowing on him, and hissing and meowing. But, find what works.

I'd try water last if increases and doesn't respond to you or latches on and dosen't let go.

I had to laugh. I have a Loki and Bart. Stanley and Pookey -- the brains of the operation and the "golden retriever" as you put it. They are night and day different. Stanley has spent his life looking after his slower brother. He used to go in the litter box and bury Pookey's #2 after he got done. Pookey would dig and dig and dig and dig forever and when he left the box, the #2 would be on the top of a huge pyramid, uncovered. They're now 15. Stanley doesn't care anymore and Pookey doesn't dig as much. The stories I could tell... However, instead of a golden retriever, I always likened Pookey to a male Chrissy Snow (Three's Company). Perky and friendly, but no lights on...
-----
Tammy
Stanley and Pookey

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Intro, and questions, A bit long. - FireDrake, Sat Oct 21 20:21:15 2006
>> Next Message:  oh also... - FireDrake, Sat Oct 21 20:33:43 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: Intro, and questions, A bit long. - PHKitkat, Fri Oct 20 17:49:50 2006