return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: My rmts cat won't stop peeing in my bed!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHMadameAlto at Sat Oct 28 07:10:31 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHMadameAlto ]  

It does sound like this is largely a behavioral problem - but the cat should be checked by a vet to be sure there are no underlying medical causes.

Often cats will pee/poop on such things as bed or clothing because these objects have a strong smell, and they are trying to show that they "own" the territory and not you. The advice you have been given is excellent - you can also use plastic carpet runners turned upside down over your bed for a bit - cats hate those little "hook" thingies on their paws. The most important thing to do is to create as much discomfort as possible, but not to do anything that would connect you to the discomfort - such as you yelling or screaming or hitting the cat.

There is a product called Cat Attract Litter that may help your roomate re-train the cat to the box. Also there are medications vets can prescribe that can help ease the anxiety that causes marking.

Good luck!

>>You'll have to be diligent about closing your door, that is the only sure fire way to stop it.
>>
>>I do have a strange thought/recommendation. Pick up some astro-turf mats from Walmart or somewhere (cheap fake grass welcome mats) and lay them across your bed after you make it. Should only take a few seconds to do so. Make it a new "bedspread". Still close your door, but the cat will not like the feel of it and will probably stay off your bed if you accidently have your door open. Hopefully after a while, she will avoid your bed altogether and you don't have to do this for long. It may take a few times, tho.
>>-----
>>Tammy
>> Stanley and Pookey
-----
Smile, it will make them wonder what you are up to!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: My rmts cat won't stop peeing in my bed! - gocatgo, Sat Oct 28 10:30:11 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: My rmts cat won't stop peeing in my bed! - cyclopsgrl, Sat Oct 28 01:16:35 2006