return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Computer and laptop cables and issues

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Chatanuga at Sun Jul 15 00:13:12 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Chatanuga ]  

My Chessie has been giving me problems regarding the cables on my computers and laptop.

A while back, I redid the cables on the backs of my PC and Macintosh, bundling and coiling them very neatly with plastic cable ties and snipping off the excess part of the cable ties. Before I'd done that, Chessie would go back behind my desks and try to make his way through the mess, getting a little tangled here and there. Now, however, he wants to play with the cables. I haven't seen him bite the cables, but he has wanted to bite the cable ties that I have on the cables. He also now has begun grabbing at and pulling on cables. I've lost track how many times I'll be at my PC, he'll be laying at my feet, and I'll be working away when suddenly my computer mouse is ripped out of my hand as he decides he wants to grab the cable and give it a yank. I'll tell him no and squirt him with the water bottle (when he's not around my UPSs or where water would be bad to spray. He'll often just move to another area behind the desks where I can't reach him. I've also tried putting down strips of clear packing tape (sticky side up), but he knows how to bite the ends and move them out of his way, which is why I've stopped using them elsewhere and am waiting on my scat mat to come in that I've ordered. I also can't close the door to the room while I'm in there since he will claw at the door and carpet outside the door to try to get in, which isn't good since I'm renting my townhouse.

He's also causing me problems with my laptop, which I usually have on my coffee table in my living room with the power cord laying flat on the floor until it reaches the outlet. He loves to attack this cord and the cord for my webcam, which I have on my laptop instead of the PC when I'm home. I've tried cayenne pepper on the cord, and that will work for keeping him from biting it, but I then have to clean off the pepper for when I take my laptop with me to work. And the other day, he actually damaged my laptop, which I may now need to get repaired, if not replaced. I had my webcam set up on the coffee table next to my laptop. I left the room, came back in, and he was playing with the webcam's cable. I told him no, and he went into one of his crazy cat modes and took off running. Unfortunately, he didn't realize that his foot was hooked around the webcam's cable and yanked it off the table. The camera's fine, but the USB port it was plugged into got pulled to the side and now intermittently stops working.

Does anybody have any suggestions I can try? Often he is pretty well behaved, but when he has his attitude or is left alone, he seems to forget what I've tried to teach him.
-----

Chessie in his favorite spot while I work in the kitchen.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Computer and laptop cables and issues - PHKitkat, Mon Jul 16 00:11:31 2007