return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Rough play

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Chatanuga at Thu Oct 18 10:24:07 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Chatanuga ]  

Chessie and Casey have been together now for almost three weeks. Things are going pretty good so far. They're sharing their food, water, toys, and litterboxes. Last night, they were even laying together on the couch.

However, issues arise when they get to playing rough. It doesn't seem to matter where they are. When they go to start into it, they'll get into a wrestling match anywhere. While I know I can't stop all of their little scuffles, I would like to curb some of the places where they do it at like on the couch or bed. Also when they get to rough housing, they'll get to a point where Casey often will have clumps of Chessie's hair hanging out of his mouth (granted, Chessie does shed easily). Also, when wrestling, they lose all sense of where they are allowed to go, jumping up onto tables, countertops, etc. They also will run into whatever is in their way (table legs, doors, me). The other morning, they even wrestled through the feeder in the kitchen, scattering food everywhere.

I've tried putting Casey in time out in his kennel. But when that happens, Chessie then waits outside the door of the room the kennel is in and starts crying. I've also tried using the water bottle and a can of air, but that only seems to stop the rough play for a couple minutes. Granted, the wrestling matches have slowed some, but at times, it gets a bit difficult to deal with, especially when they do this at night and decide to chase each other up onto the bed with me. For the past week, I've only been putting Casey in the kennel when I'm not home since I don't trust them yet to be left home alone together.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to calm my two cats down to a more reasonable level? By themselves, they're both calm, and at times, they are calm and get along together. It's when they start rough housing and chasing each other all over that is causing an issue.
-----

Chessie in his favorite spot while I work in the kitchen.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Rough play - PHKitkat, Thu Oct 18 18:56:57 2007