return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Water problems, starting up again

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Chatanuga at Thu Jan 17 10:58:28 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Chatanuga ]  

Well, the water problem is starting up again, just when I thought I was on the right track.

In the kitchen, I removed the tank off the waterer and placed the base in the new litterbox to contain any spillage. I also got a couple water bottles from http://www.bottlebabies.com/, setting up the larger one in the kitchen and the next size down in Casey's kennel.

Well, both cats were initially curious about the water bottles, but I have yet to be able to get either of them to drink from them. The closest I've seen them to using the water bottles is when Casey bites at the spout or rubs his head on it.

With the base of the waterer in the litterbox, Casey was still taking to making messes. I discovered that he was putting his paws in the opening at the top where the bottle used to go and flipping the base. I replaced the base with a bowl identical to his water bowl in his kennel. However, he kept wanting to play with it so I applied some duct tape to the bottom to secure it to the bottom of the litterpan. That has for the most part worked, although I have caught him trying to flip the bowl and occasionally the entire litterpan to spill the water again.

In the kennel, Casey's been doing really well in regards to not making messes. I've got his water bowl taped to the base of the water bottle in the kennel and have only been giving him enough water to last him through the day. Again, with the water bottle, he's taken very little interest in it. That was until last night. In the process of rubbing his head against the nozzle of the water bottle, some water has come out and allowed a bubble of air to form at the top of the bottle. Last night, Casey took notice to it and began to actually attack the water bottle, wrapping his front legs around it to try to get at the bubble. This morning, I was checking my webcam here at work, and he's got his water bowl ripped off the base (presumably emptied, although I can't tell from the angle and lighting), and the entire water bottle assembly is on it's side.

I'm not sure what to do with him at this point. I got the water bottles so that he and Chessie would both have water and so Casey wouldn't be able to spill it. Chessie goes to get a drink, and either Casey will have the water spilled out (causing Chessie to start crying) or he will chase Chessie, apparently thinking that Chessie is playing with the water too. When I get home, I'm gonna take away the water bottle in the kennel and just leave the bowl since it obviously isn't working. I'm trying everything I can to make water uninteresting for him so he'll stop playing with it and so both cats won't go thirsty, but nothing's working anymore.
-----

Chessie and Casey Jones relaxing together.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Water problems, starting up again - izzy123, Tue Jan 22 23:21:32 2008