return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Fear of vistors (got bad this time)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Chatanuga at Tue May 27 10:21:00 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Chatanuga ]  

In the Strange Behavior forum about a year ago, I posted about Chessie's fear of visitors coming into my townhouse.

This past Saturday night, a friend of mine spent the night at my place. Chessie initially started hissing and then took off to hide. I checked on him a couple times during the night, and he was hiding in a different spot each time but was otherwise okay.

Sunday morning, I went to give Chessie his heart medicine, but I couldn't find him anywhere. We began looking everywhere, even checking all of the closets that had been closed when we turned in for the night. I then noticed some hair hanging out of the cupboards above my countertops. I opened the doors, and he was curled up inside. I could tell by his eyes that he was scared. At the same time, I knew I needed to get him out of the cupboard since he's not allowed in there at all. I went to lift him out of the cupboard, and he went nuts. That's when I realized I should have put a shirt on before even attempting to move him since I now have claw marks across my chest and stomach. He jumped out of my hands and took off, hiding until my friend left.

While I understand that he has a fear of visitors, is there anything at all that can be done to calm him down when I have company over? I obviously can't just never have anybody stop in to visit since my family does come to my place from time to time.

What is interesting to note is what happened last December. My parents came by one afternoon, and while we were in the living room, I heard my dad tell my mom to look over at the kitchen doorway. There was Chessie, stopped in midwalk looking at them. My mom said hi to him, and he bolted back to the kitchen. So at that time, he did seem to want to come into the same room as the company I had and then chickened out.
-----

Chessie and Casey Jones relaxing together.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Fear of vistors (got bad this time) - PHKItkat, Tue May 27 17:15:44 2008