return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Misbehaved kitten

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ragnarick at Thu Feb 5 10:50:08 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ragnarick ]  

My girlfriend and I got a kitten a few months ago that's not adapting well at all. She doesn't play, barely eats, hides CONSTANTLY, usually hisses when we approach her and when we actually do get her to sit near us she just curls up into a defensive ball and won't move unless she's running to hide again. She's not really aggressive as she gets along well with the other cat and, when we can find her, she'll sometimes sit cooperatively in our laps, but only after she hisses at us when we try to pick her up. We figured this would subside however it's been some time now and she's not changed. We've employed several tactics that we found online but nothing seems to work, and it's gotten to the point where we're making one last attempt to do something before giving her up. I realize that probably sounds heartless but the truth is we're not going to spend the time/money/resources on a cat who is always hiding and hissing at us as it's pointless to us to do so. She's about 2 1/2 - 3 months old and adorable but we just can't figure out what her deal is. I also know the woman who raised her after birth so I doubt any of her current issues stem back to any previous abuse.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. I've looked at other topics here and other places on the internet but none of them seem to address a kitten this young being so extremely skittish. For what it's worth we're also taking her to the vet next week to look at her but we doubt any of her behavior problems are due to any physical issue.

Thanks ahead of time.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Misbehaved kitten - Chatanuga, Fri Feb 6 09:07:01 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: Misbehaved kitten - PHKitkat, Fri Feb 6 15:23:01 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: Misbehaved kitten - gelp85, Fri Feb 6 21:06:13 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: Misbehaved kitten - ttpurr4cat, Sat Feb 7 12:27:07 2009