return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

How to Get Your Cats to Come to You

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: papillon567 at Fri Jun 20 21:23:36 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by papillon567 ]  

Hey, PHCurious. There is more than one way to get your cats to come to you. I'm sure you'll be able to get your cats to come when called, but I also like to have a back-up plan for Fluffy. It's great when cats come when called, but occasionally, even trained cats don't come when called. So, I recommend that everyone teaches their cats this simple trick-- just like I taught Fluffy. This is the back-up plan:

1. Always shake the bag of treats before giving one to your cat.

2. Your cat will learn the sound and will come running to you every time you shake the treat bag.

3. When your cat won't come, shake the treat bag. He/she will come running to you. When your cat comes right away (which she will) give her a treat.

This back-up plan works every time! And as for getting your cats to come when called, always praise them and pet them when they come. Then when you call them, they will think you are going to pet them, and they'll run to you.

I try to think of Fluffy the same way that I think of Dodger. Way too many people think that cats are very different from dogs, but that's not 100% true. Dogs need treats and praise during training; cats do too. Dogs can learn to come when called; cats can too. Plenty of dogs love attention; plenty of cats do too. Cats and dogs and very much the same, yet very much different.

Do you have cat training tips or any kind of tips? I'd love to hear them, and I'm sure others would too. Please post!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Teaching Cats Tricks - PHCurious, Sat Jun 21 01:35:33 2003

<< Previous Message:  RE: How much do your cats talk to you? - PHCurious, Thu Jun 19 14:46:03 2003