return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Slow to warm up, or hopping on the laps of strangers?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHCurious at Wed Aug 6 02:03:16 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHCurious ]  

I have family coming to visit and stay with us tomorrow. Got me wondering about how my kitties are going to react to my father, whom they haven't seen in a year. Will they remember him? Will they treat him like a stranger?

One of my cats likes everyone right away. He greets strangers at the door, sniffs their toes, and tries to rub his face in their hair. He checks out everyone and as long as the newcomer isn't a toddler, loves them.

My other cat is what is known as "slow to warm up." His initial reaction to meeting strangers is to run and hide, but always from a spot where he can still hear and/or see them. He watches his big brother, the other cat, check out the strangers. After about a half hour or so, when he has seen that the older cat approves of the newcomers, he will come out and greet them, albeit not as affectionately as he will with people he already knows.

So what are your kitties like? Do they get excited when visitors come over, or are they bothered by the intrusion?

-----
PHCurious
Cat Chat Host

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Slow to warm up, or hopping on the laps of strangers? - JaimeMarie, Wed Aug 6 09:23:14 2003
>> Next Message:  RE: Slow to warm up, or hopping on the laps of strangers? - MunchieScrunchie, Wed Aug 6 11:19:02 2003
>> Next Message:  RE: Slow to warm up, or hopping on the laps of strangers? - teganslaw, Thu Aug 7 10:02:16 2003
>> Next Message:  RE: Slow to warm up, or hopping on the laps of strangers? - pmantone, Thu Aug 7 16:06:59 2003
>> Next Message:  Follow-up--Kitty has a great memory! - PHCurious, Fri Sep 5 10:48:43 2003