return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Please help! My kitten hates me!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: VinnyLeChat at Thu Aug 28 11:31:43 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by VinnyLeChat ]  

>>You said "On Friday we adopted a brother for her" which lets me know you haven't had the new kitten for more than a week yet. I advise you to give Callie some space if she don't want bothered. Her plan is for you to get rid of Kazee, and you need to show her it's not working. Callie will adjust and go back to her usual self soon.
>>
>>When we brought our new puppy Dodger home four years ago, Fluffy was the same way your cat is now. When my mother's friend Grace brought her new kitten home, her older cat was the same way your cat is now. I understand your concern. Just give your older cat a chance to adjust and everything should be fine.
>>
>>Whatever you do, do NOT get rid of your new kitten. Everything will work out, and Callie and Kazee have a good chance of becoming friends after a while.
>>
>>It works in steps:
>>1) Callie hates you and Kazee
>>2) Callie doesn't hate you anymore but still hates Kazee
>>3) Callie loves you again and ignores Kazee
>>4) Callie loves you still and is slightly accepting Kazee
>>5) Callie loves you still and Kazee doen't annoy her any more
>>6) Callie loves you still and Kazee is possibly her friend
>>
>>Hang in there!
PERFECT advice Pappilon. I went thru a similar hell when my mother died and I integrated her two cats with mine. One of her cats I was certain was going to either be killed or kill somebody. She terrorized my cats to no end, wouldnt even let them pass by her. They eventually began to just ignore her behaviors, and adapted an "oh yeah, ok" attude. It took a few months and now she is adapted and she actually likes it here. But boy, it was a rough haul at first. Cats have an interesting pattern when it comes to acceptance and I think you really nailed it down in your six steps. I actually think my cats cured her by just shrugging at her. So long as nobody bleeds and nobody gets hurt (flying hair notwithstanding), time helps to take care of these issues. Maybe this little gal knows that mommy will be upset if she carries on like she's been doing. Might not be a bad idea to just shrug at her more when she does it. Then her punishment efforts won't seem as fruitful to her. It seemed to work here. But hey what do I know: my cats only let me stay because there's a mortgage. LOL

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Please help! My kitten hates me! - papillon567, Mon Aug 25 16:13:11 2003