return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

my cat is afraid of new cat

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ishy at Sat Aug 28 12:06:49 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ishy ]  

OK, I have a 3 year-old extremely friendly, very gentle mix-breed cat (Maggie) who has been my 'baby' for several years. She has always been around other cats, although last year my roommate's 17 year-old siamese would chase and lash out at her. We kept them separate as much as possible, but now in my new apartment, I adopted a 1-year-old Maine Coon about 1 1/2 months ago.

Sage is as sweet as she can be. She seems to adore Maggie and bounds up to her to play and Maggie just freaks out, I guess she's thinking Sage is coming after her like my old roommate's cat did. By freak out, I mean literally go nuts, and make that awful cat-in-terror shriek as well as lashing out with ears back. Sage always backs off and looks rather confused that Maggie doesn't like her. Because she is just a year, she hasn't fully grown out of her kittenish play stage yet (plus she was found at 7 mos with a litter of kittens and probably missed out on most of her kitten stage playing mommy).

I did separate them at first and introduce them slowly. Maggie will touch noses with Sage sometimes and I have even seen Maggie let Sage lick her face. It doesn't seem to be a jealousy issue because Maggie seems calmer around Sage when I am close, and most of the time when she freaks out I am out of the room or on the other side of the room. Maggie growls whenever Sage comes near her, and Sage follows Maggie around with utter devotion.

I have been trying the Feliway plugin and the herbal remedy suggested here for at least three weeks and it hasn't seemed to make a difference. I think if Maggie calmed down she'd realize that Sage totally adores her and wouldn't hurt her, and would also be a fun playmate. My old roommate also had a kitten and he and Maggie played together all the time with no problem.

Any suggestions?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: my cat is afraid of new cat - PHMadameAlto, Sat Aug 28 18:11:04 2004
>> Next Message:  RE: my cat is afraid of new cat - kinga, Tue Aug 31 21:56:06 2004
>> Next Message:  PIC: Sage and Maggie - ishy, Sun Sep 26 06:20:36 2004