return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

UPDATE: my cat is afraid of new cat

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ishy at Tue Sep 14 20:29:41 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ishy ]  

Actually, I already do many of these things. I would put Maggie's food up, but I really don't have anywhere 'up' to put it. I do let her get up on the counter to jump onto the fridge, which is the only time she is allowed on a counter or table. I have separated them, but that almost seems worse. Sage cries and Maggie hides from her crying, even though the door is closed between them. However, when it comes to food, Maggie seems to have no problem sharing with Sage. They will share treats happily and eat side by side. I shower Maggie with attention, but still try to give Sage enough attention to feel loved. As far as toys, they seem to have completely different preferences (Maggie likes strings and Sage likes balls and mice), so that doesn't seem to be an issue at all. Maggie has never liked to play by herself unless it's with a live bug.

Sage already seems to give Maggie preference. I let Maggie show her aggressiveness without punishment, and sometimes if Sage is showing aggression (which I'm positive is just kittenish play-she just desperately wants Maggie as a playmate), I do say no to Sage. Sage always backs off and kowtows anyway if Maggie growls or shows any aggression. Maggie has allowed Sage to wash her head, and they touch noses regularly, but Maggie is still acting timid a lot. Even when I keep Maggie in my room at night with Sage out (almost a necessity since Sage is extremely noisy at night), Maggie won't sleep with me anymore.

I just want my happy cat back.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: UPDATE: my cat is afraid of new cat - PHMadameAlto, Wed Sep 15 21:11:55 2004

<< Previous Message:  RE: my cat is afraid of new cat - kinga, Tue Aug 31 21:56:06 2004