return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Adult cat, new kitten

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHMadameAlto at Tue Nov 30 20:42:41 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHMadameAlto ]  

>>Hi. I have a male (neutered) cat that is almost 1 1/2 years old. I tried a month or so ago to introduce an adult female and it did not work out at all, so I had to give her back. I admit, I went about it all wrong. Now my brother's cat had kittens and I would really like to take one home (They'll be 8 weeks on Christmas day!). I've read that they should be separated for a few days and gradually introduced. Any suggestions on this?

Yes, it is good to separate them and let them sort of sniff each other under the doorway. It is also wise to put one in a carrier and let the other sniff around it - and vice versa. Also reverse the "living arrangements" every now and then so more territory sniffing can be done. In a week or so try feeding them in the same room - at a great distance apart. Later on you can try playing with a cat wand and seeing if they will play with you.

Also, I read that introducing a male kitten to an adult male cat is better than a female because he will like a rough playmate.

Actually it's going to depend on the personality of the cat more than the sex. If your male is a little aggressive he may actually do better with a female. However some females are pretty feisty so you just can't be sure.

Finally, I have had my cat since he was about 3 months old. I have always used clumping litter and he has been fine. Is there any reason it would be more harmful to an 8 week old than a 3 month old? All thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

An 8 week old kitten is pretty tiny and their digestive tracts just might not be able to handle any litter ingested while grooming. Also they tend to play in the litterbox a lot! So you will definitely need to make the switch away from clumping litter for a few months!
-----
Smile, it will make them wonder what you are up to!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Adult cat, new kitten - shadowcat2, Mon Nov 29 20:30:27 2004