return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

My Cat is Afraid and Hiding from New Cat....Any Suggestions?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: spiralinsights at Thu Dec 30 22:24:28 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by spiralinsights ]  

Hi, My name is Kerri and I have a 6 year old female named Trouble. On November 30th I took in a year old male cat. I have read the books and took the gradual steps I needed to take to make sure that the introduction was gradual. I have kept the male cat, named Spirit, in his own room for three weeks while I nursed him back to health (he was wounded). I made sure that Trouble had enough time to smell him. When I brought him out, it was in a carrier, and there was some hissing and that but not that much. For three weeks they batted paws under the door because there was about an inch gap. Sometimes Trouble would sit by the door and hiss and jump at his paws, but it was nothing serious.

My problem is, after I got Spirit neutered, I let him out and Trouble has gone into hiding under the bed. What usually happens when they have a face to face confrontation is, Trouble takes the upper hand and hisses and Spirit turns away and cowers. I know, normal territorial stuff, but what happens is, Spirit then jumps at Trouble to play and she runs and hides. Finally I had to bring her food and litter box in the bedroom so she would feel comfortable. I do not shut the door and keep her in. I leave the door open a crack so she can get out of she wants.

I have been giving Trouble Reiki, and start Bach Rescue Remedy. It has only been a week since Spirit has been left out and I am seeing Trouble approaching the door but when Spirit comes close she hides under the bed.

One added note....I have seen hissing and batting on Trouble's part, and only some batting back by Spirit (who I think is playing). I feel that is Trouble really couldn't stand Spirit, there would have been a major fight by now.

Am I doing everything right? Should I put Trouble in his own room and allow Trouble out for a bit to get her confidence back up? Will Trouble eventually come out?

I have heard from many people that they have cats who just tolerate each other, but I want them to get along in the worst way.

Any advice or suggestions would help greatly!
Thank you so much! Kerri

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: My Cat is Afraid and Hiding from New Cat....Any Suggestions? - JaimeMarie, Fri Dec 31 09:36:42 2004
>> Next Message:  RE: My Cat is Afraid and Hiding from New Cat....Any Suggestions? - PHMadameAlto, Fri Dec 31 19:09:09 2004
>> Next Message:  RE: My Cat is Afraid and Hiding from New Cat....Any Suggestions? - gocatgo, Fri Dec 31 20:27:33 2004