return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Is it too late to smooth things out with a new cat?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: hop_skipna_jump at Thu Mar 24 01:00:42 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by hop_skipna_jump ]  

I dunno, I've heard the "let them sort it out" method is a bad way to go, you could end up with cats that will NEVER get along if you don't do it right. They feel their space is being invaded and nobody seems to care so it can make them bitter and defensive. First off are they both altered? I think you're doing the right thing with trying to let Josie have her space and you may opt to keep this up for a little while longer but even still it may be too late because Dexter doesn't seem to like being isolated and he's vocal about it. My friend had this problem with her dog but I don't think the same applies. After a week though I should think that they would've been better together but for some it takes more time. Try positive reinforcement, you could use her favorite treats or toy and always reward good behavior. When she's in front of the door or carrier, talk to her and let her know what's going on with the new kitten. Pat her and give her a few treats for good behavior and make sure she knows nothing is going to change. Give it time and I wish the best of luck to you and your growing feline family

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Is it too late to smooth things out with a new cat? - gocatgo, Wed Mar 23 23:58:29 2005